Florence Baptistery - THE AIM OF THE PROJECT

 
project_intro

The Guild of the Dome’s project to preserve the North and South Doors of the Baptistery of Saint John involves the financing of two operations: the complete restoration of the original doors so that they can be exhibited in the Museo dell’Opera (Museum of the Opera), where in a protected environment they can be enjoyed by visitors from all over the world for centuries to come, and the production of museum-quality replicas of the doors to be fitted on the Baptistery in place of the originals. The entire operation is being managed by the Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore, under the supervision of the Italian Ministry of Cultural Affairs.

This intervention is part of a monumental requalification of the monuments in Piazza del Duomo, an area of about 40.000 square meters. At the end of 2015, the new Museum of the Opera will be inaugurated, which will house a life size replica of the facade of the Cathedral, as it was in the 1400’s and the three restored Baptistery Doors”.